What is a Milestone Payment
Milestone Payment (split payment) is a method of payment that can be used when you post a job request or search and order from a freelancer.
This is convenient if you have a large project that may take a long time to finish since you can pay the freelancer in installments, depending on the amount that the freelancer has worked on.
The maximum amount that can be paid by Milestone Payment would be no more than what the proposed price is.
Example) If the freelancer is contracted with the proposed price of 12000yen, payment can be made in 6 installments of 2000yen each.
How to use Milestone Payment
- If you would like to pay the reward by Milestone Payment, please contact the freelancer by sending a comment regarding that. At the same time, mention the amount to make the process go smoother.
- Wait for the freelancer to request Milestone Payment.
- Once you receive the request from the freelancer, confirm the payment amount. If there are no problems, click on [Accept or Decline milestone payment request] and accept.
If you would like to pay more than the proposed price with Milestone Payment
If the Milestone Payment amount is going to exceed the proposed price (maximum amount), an error message will appear on the freelancer’s side and he/she will not be able to request Milestone Payment.
In this case, the proposed price will need to be adjusted along with the revised Milestone Payment total amount. Please see the following on how to make adjustments.
1. Confirm the difference between the a) proposed price and b) amount already paid by Milestone Payment.
Example: If the project is proceeding with the following conditions
12000yen →Proposed price
6000yen →Milestone Payment already paid
The difference between a) and b) is 6000yen→ c) maximum amount that can be paid with Milestone payment in this contract is 6000yen
2. Ask the freelancer to change the proposed price to a higher amount than the total of b) and the new award amount to be paid by Milestone Payment. It will be efficient to take into consideration the amount of work left in the project when deciding on the new proposed price.
3. Once you receive the re-proposed price, first approve the change, and then as the freelancer to resend a request for Milestone Payment.
4. Confirm and accept the Milestone Payment request.
Article is closed for comments.